Stillwater, by the mouth of the Weiti River, was settled in a similar fashion to Silverdale – with Maori gathering food from the land and sea and the earliest European settlers drawn by the navigable river’s possibilities for trade in the early 1800s.
Fruit was exported from Stillwater, which also acted as a landing port for boats transporting logs and kauri gum from the area. The last shipment of gum to leave Stillwater was in 1892.
Dacre Cottage, a restored single room dwelling with adjacent barn, built by Ranulph Dacre in 1848, is owned by Rodney District Council and is being maintained and upgraded by a community group. Access to the historic cottage in Karepiro Bay is by boat across the Okura River Estuary or via the Okura Bush Walkway.
Much of Dacre’s original land, around 1349 hectares known as the Weiti Block, was purchased by developer Evan Williams in 2005 and plans are underway for a residential development.
Other significant early settlers include the McPikes; the subdivision of their farmland in 1958 provided most of the land that the present Stillwater settlement stands on.
Stillwater Motorcamp, alongside the river, was developed post World War II. It is now owned by Evan Williams and, although still operating, faces an uncertain future.
The spit on Karepiro Bay is home to the endangered NZ dotterel.
Fishing, kayaking and walking are popular in the area, which retains significant amounts of native bush. Much of the social activity for this small community revolves around the Boating Club, but Council and the Stillwater Ratepayers & Residents Association are investigating the possibility of constructing a community building.