1930 north end new bridge under construction. Photo Wainui Historical Society. 1920s South Bridge showing centre pivot to enable boats to pass. 1997 South Bridge. 2020 North bridge Original 1900s bridge support posts (new bridge visible top left corner).
The bridges at either end of Orewa have been rebuilt several times.
Destination Orewa’s research indicates that there have been four South Bridges, built in 1880, the 1930s and 1960s. The current South Bridge was built (and realigned slightly more to the seaward side) in 1997.
The North Bridge was originally built in 1905 and rebuilt in 1930 in a slightly different location. The original wooden support posts are still visible today in the estuary.
Why Hibiscus Coast?
The name Hibiscus Coast was the result of a promotion run in the late 1960s by Peter Rigg (Orewa Pharmacy) and Matt Cole (Waiwera Thermal Pools and Orewa Rotary). Customers were offered a free hibiscus plant if they spent over a certain amount in the pharmacy. More than a thousand were given away in one year. The local council picked up on the concept and planted hibiscus in public spaces. In 1971 the area was officially named Hibiscus Coast.
Businesses with staying power
Orewa has a number of businesses that have been offering their services for decades. Including: Life Pharmacy – 72 years; You Travel – 45 years in the same location; Liquorland – approximately 45 years (20 as Liquorland); Orewa Taxation Services – 42 years, still owned and operated by Merv Huxford; Go Dutch Cheese & Deli – 26 years, originally called The Windmill