The warning not to collect or consume shellfish in Whangaparaoa, which was put in place by the Ministry of Primary Industries (MPI) a month ago was still in place as this issue went to print.
The initial area covered by the ban was extended and it now covers from Red Bluff at Campbells Bay, north to Takatu Point. It includes the Mahurangi Harbour and Kawau Island as well as other islands in the vicinity.
Tests on shellfish samples taken from this region have shown levels of Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning toxins above the safe limit. Anyone eating shellfish from this area is potentially at risk of illness.
Mussels, oysters, tuatua, pipi, toheroa, cockles, scallops, catseyes, kina and all other bivalve shellfish should not be eaten.
Cooking shellfish does not remove the toxin.
Paua, crab and crayfish may be eaten if the gut has been completely removed prior to cooking.
If anyone becomes ill after eating shellfish from an area where a public health warning has been issued, phone Healthline on 0800 611 116, or seek medical attention immediately.
Keep leftover shellfish in case it can be tested.
Monitoring of toxin levels will continue and any changes will be on the MPI website and updates lined to this story.
Commercially harvested shellfish – sold in shops and supermarkets, are safe to eat.