A survey organised by Rodney Councillor Greg Sayers on NZ Transport Agency’s (NZTA) proposal to toll the new Puhoi to Warkworth motorway has roundly condemned the move.
2,617 people completed the online survey, which ran from May 15 to June 15, and 86 per cent of respondents “strongly” or “somewhat” opposed the tolling.
Cr Sayers says the idea of a toll came as something of a shock, as the idea had never been socialised or proposed previously.
He says he has submitted the survey results to the NZTA in the form of a petition and has discussed the matter with NZTA director of regional relationships Steve Mutton. It has been agreed that the 2617 survey participants will be treated as separate submissions to the NZTA or any hearings panel.
When asked, “How much do you support or oppose the new motorway road having a second toll added to it by central Government?” The responses were as follows:
Strongly oppose (78.86%), somewhat oppose (7.26%), neither oppose nor support (2.11%), somewhat support (5.27%), strongly support (6.5%).