Residents of Kaipara have until the end of the month to give feedback on representation arrangements for the Kaipara District Council elections in 2019 and 2022.
Representation arrangements include:
• The number of councillors to be elected to Council
• Whether councillors are elected by wards or by the district as a whole
• The number and boundaries of wards and number of councillors that will represent them
• Whether to have community boards
The Local Electoral Act 2001 requires local authorities to review their representation arrangements at least once every six years. The last review in Kaipara was in 2012.
The Council is proposing the following changes to representation arrangements:
• Creating a new Kaiwaka-Mangawhai Ward
• Expanding Otamatea Ward north-west to Tokatoka Road, including Ruawai
• Reducing West Coast-Central Ward (from Tokatoka Road south-east to Otamatea)
• Having two councillors per ward
The consultation seeks public input on whether Council should move forward with this proposal for representation change. Closing date for submissions is Friday, August 31.
Representation review booklets and submission forms are available at libraries and Council’s Customer Service Centres. Online submission forms and further information: kaipara.govt.nz