Wood Street has gone one-way for the second time in two years.
Consultation is continuing on Kaipara District Council’s project to improve conditions for traffic and pedestrians in the main Wood Street shopping area of Mangawhai Heads.
The latest interim design to make traffic one-way, improve parking and provide more people-friendly pedestrian areas was started in December, with changes being implemented in response to ongoing feedback from residents and businesses.
A survey on redesigning parking at the entrance to Wood Street was carried out last month, resulting in the removal of parking spaces on the south side of Wood Street near the Molesworth Drive entrance, and installing seven angle parks on the Four Square side of the road, including one mobility space.
Council will carry out a full review and public survey later this month to find out what people think is working and what’s not with the entire interim design. This includes new shared public spaces, street art and planting, and additional off-street parking.
Council says the review will include an evaluation of the changes, on-site surveying, and comparing data against baseline data collected before the latest design was implemented in December.
Mangawhai programme delivery manager Tim Manning says regular input from the community is a key part of the process, and the revitalisation project is being carried out in collaboration with the Mangawhai Business Association.
“If something isn’t working, we can change it, so we can keep improving the area. Future changes will be based on real-time feedback,” he says. “What we want to see is a vibrant, attractive Wood Street that is people friendly.”
The $506,000 interim design project has been 90 per cent funded by Waka Kotahi New Zealand Transport Agency as part of its Innovating Streets programme, with Council contributing the other 10 per cent.
Any comments or feedback on the interim design can be made by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org