Motorway plan causes uncertainty

While it is full steam ahead on the Puhoi to Warkworth motorway project, the future of the Warkworth to Te Hana section is still uncertain.

Landowners on the the proposed Warkworth to Te Hana motorway route will have to wait until at least September before they can plan their future.

Earlier this month, the Government released its draft Policy Statement on Land Transport, which outlines its transport priorities and funding allocations for the next decade.

The plan, and a speech by Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, highlighted that investment into regional roads would be given greater priority, with less emphasis on motorway projects.

“What you won’t see under this Government is investment into a small number of dual-carriage highways, while local roads and safety, and other transport options suffer,” Ms Ardern said.

Any projects already under construction, such as the Puhoi to Warkworth motorway, will be completed.

However, a final decision on the 25km Warkworth to Te Hana motorway won’t happen until after the National Land Transport Programme is published on August 31.

An NZTA spokesperson says any affected landowners will be informed as soon as a final decision is made.

“We understand that people would like an answer now, but there is a process to follow.”

Public submissions on the draft plan, which proposes an 11 per cent cut in funding for state highway improvements, close on May 2 at 5pm.

The plan also includes a 46 per cent increase in funding for public transport and a 22 per cent increase for local road maintenance.

To read the draft land transport plan and submit visit transport.govt.nz/ourwork/keystrategiesandplans/gpsonlandtransportfunding


0 Comments

There are no comments on this article.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to make a comment. Login Now