Electrical fire closes classroom

The fire started in one of the new classrooms at Tomarata School, which opened in 2017.

Pupils at Tomarata School had an exciting start to their morning today when an electrical fire started in one of the classrooms.

Principal Cherylene Neels says the alarm was raised by students who noticed a strong smell in Room 7.

“They looked up and saw a burning circle on the ceiling,” Ms Neels says. “It was before school started so we gathered all the students together in the hall as they arrived, well away from the fire.”

The Wellsford Volunteer Fire Brigade responded, and the situation was soon under control.

Normal classes resumed shortly after 9am, but all heating at the school has been turned off until the entire system has been checked.

“Thankfully, the fire was isolated to just one heating panel in one classroom, but safety is paramount, and we won’t be turning the heating back on until all checks have been done.”

Ms Neels says she was impressed by the children’s behavior during the incident.

“They were very calm.

“We’re very grateful to the volunteer firefighters who turned out – they did a great job.”


You may also like...

0 Comments

There are no comments on this article.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to make a comment. Login Now