A weekend of community activities, prayer, shared dinners and time to reflect marked 100 years of services at St Stephen’s church in Whangaparaoa.
The original little chapel was built in 1917 and is still in regular use and much loved by churchgoers.
Over the weekend of August 5 and 6, parishioners celebrated the centenary with events that included a car scavenger hunt around Whangaparaoa Peninsula, guided viewings of the chapel and a formal dinner with speakers that included the Rev Dr Sir David Moxon.
Sunday featured a reenactment of a family sailing into Arkles Bay and joining others in period costume for a ride in vintage cars (or a walk) up Arkles hill to the church.
Several vintage cars were provided for the occasion by the Hibiscus Vintage Enthusiasts Club.
Lady Rhyl Jansen, who helped organise the centenary events, says it was a wonderful weekend filled with fun and stories of the past.
These St Stephen’s parishioners were among those who dressed as early settlers to greet arrivals from The Frances at Arkles Bay.
Wyn Chadwick, aged 100, and Rob Aspden; Wyn wore a dress and fur coat that was passed down to her by her mother.
A family representing the Shakespears row into Arkles Bay after sailing from Weiti Boating Club on The Frances.
The dinghy is transported up Arkles Bay beach.
Jill McTeigue, left, and Chris Curtis joined the St Stephen’s centenary celebration.
Parishioner Lady Rhyl Jansen, who played a large part in organising events for St Stephen’s chapel’s centenary.