Wellsford mothers and Plunket volunteers (from left) Holly Chalk, with her son Theo, and Tania Hamilton, with her son Scott and playmate Lucas South.
Wellsford Plunket has re-established after a number of years of inactivity.
A group of dedicated mothers has been holding regular working bees to give the Plunket building a spruce-up and have started new playgroup meetings.
Coordinator Tania Hamilton says it’s been a community effort.
“We’ve got a great group who want to make a difference,” Tania says. “We’ve been doing a lot of work to make the space more appealing. Once we’ve got everything set up we hope to hold more parenting courses and playgroups.”
Plunket nurse Sue Pearce has been working in Rodney for over a decade and was manager of North Shore and Rodney Plunket. She says there has been a wider trend of dropping parent support as more mothers work.
“When I first arrived we had a strong committee in Wellsford, with people fundraising by catering at the saleyards,”
Sue says. “The next generation didn’t have the same level of support, so it’s great to see things picking up again. It’s a vibrant community and once we get things tidied up, I’m sure support will strengthen.”
Meanwhile, in Warkworth, Plunket and Family First Aid are holding a course to help people learn first aid skills. The two-hour course will have practical demonstrations and hands on practice covering CPR, choking, burns, bleeding and falls.
The classes are at Totara Park Village Hall, 5 Melwood Drive on Wednesday March 9, 7pm to 9pm, and Saturday May 7, 10am to 12 noon.
Bookings must be paid in advance. A donation from Warkworth Lions Club has reduced the course fee from $25 to $10 per person.
- Tuesdays: Wellsford Community Playgroup, 9am to 11.30am. Gold coin donation, plate of healthy food for morning tea and a change of clothes.
- Info: Tracey 423 7136 or 021 507717
- Plunket clinic: 9am to 12 noon and home visits in the afternoon.
- Thursdays: Wellsford Toy Library open 9am to 3pm. Info: 021 081 77527
- Fridays: Wellsford Plunket Playgroup, 10.30am to 11.30am. Bring something for a shared morning tea, a hat, towel and change of clothes for water play and sunblock.
Info: Sara 021 170 9872
- Tuesdays: Plunket clinic 9am to 2.30pm.
- Thursday: 9am to 3pm.
- Wednesday: Snells Beach clinic at Snells Beach Kindergarten, first and third Wednesday, 9am to 2.30pm.