History – A good year for Warkworth

Main street, showing Cadman’s Pharmacy, in 1912.
A busy scene at Warkworth Wharf.

“Our native bush is a picture of beauty just now with the yellow of the kowhai on a background of green.” So wrote a Warkworth resident in the year 1912. The predictable seasonal display of the kowhai on the riverbank is one of the one of the few constants in an ever-changing scene. A visitor to the main street of Warkworth, a century ago, would have seen the original colonial buildings, few of which survive today.

Close to the bridge stood the stables of Ramsbottom’s coach service. From there, the Royal Mail coach travelled four days a week to Kaipara Flats to meet the train. The journey could take more than an hour depending on the state of the road. The Warkworth Town Board had, in 1912, purchased a two-horse grader and when steam rollers came into use in Auckland, a second-hand two-horse roller was acquired to compact the six inch layer of metal that was applied to the clay roads.

The river, from earliest times, was the lifeline of the town and it still remained the focal point of industry and transport in 1912. Scows and steamers often vied for position alongside the wharf. In January 1912, the new steamer Hauiti made the first of many trips to Warkworth and the Kotiti, though usually on the Matakana run, came to Warkworth to transport the produce from Driver’s canning factory. The factory processed locally-grown fruit and its equipment included a parer and corer, which could handle 32 apples a minute. Fruit growing was a thriving activity with the largest orchard being Morrison’s, at Red Bluff, where staff had their own hockey team competing in the local competition. The lime and cement industry had brought prosperity to Warkworth. At this time Wilson’s Portland Cement employed 180 men.

Support was growing for a local hospital and in the meantime, Dr Ick-Hewins, a registered practitioner, met medical needs. Some still preferred to consult Dr Shoesmith who had practised medicine in the area for years but had no recognised qualifications. There was also Charles Cadman, a chemist who came to Warkworth with 30 years experience and an impressive string of letters after his name. He advertised a seven-day a week service which included extracting teeth and removing blemishes. He undertook the care of animals and their owners, and was known to set broken bones when necessary.

Three bakeries baked and delivered the daily bread, and whether it was a pair of new boots that were required or a new sulky, gig or dray, it seemed the town had the man to supply the goods.

Labour Day was celebrated for the first time in 1912 with a sports day held at the show grounds and a concert was arranged to mark the first anniversary of the completion of the town hall. All things considered, 1912 was a good year for Warkworth.

Archives open

The archives at the Warkworth Museum will be open on Sunday 14 October. Family trees of settler families will be available to view and if your family is not already there, additions are welcome. Visitors will be invited to view a timeline of Warkworth history and archivists will be on hand to help with queries. Entry to the museum will be free.

History - Warkworth & District Museum