At an Extraordinary Governing Body meeting on June 7, councillors voted to move to a regionwide, rates-funded refuse collection service as part of the 2022/2023 budget.
The service would give Aucklanders the option of three different bin sizes.
An amendment put up by Crs Wayne Walker and Greg Sayers calling to allow pay as you throw, particularly for areas north of the harbour bridge, was rejected.
Council’s public law manager, Meredith Webb, told the meeting that the amendment was an issue because council has not gone out for consultation on a hybrid model of both a rate funded and pay as you throw.
“We consulted on two options. We made a conscious effort not to go for a hybrid option,” Webb said. “If you wanted a hybrid model you would have to go for consultation.”
Cr Wayne Walker said pay as you throw had been successful and council should enhance the existing scheme.
Pay as you throw schemes are designed to disincentivise waste – those who put out less rubbish pay less because they buy less rubbish bags.
“I am disappointed – we are going backwards in terms of reducing emissions,” Cr Walker said.
He said that the majority of local boards and communities north of the harbour bridge rejected the rates model.
“People processing their waste on-site will be disincentivised. We need to have options and incentives to reduce waste,” Cr Walker said.
Cr Richard Hills said that pay as you throw was not shown to reduce waste and a rates-funded model would cost $123 less for the average family.
“Having both rates funded and pay as you throw would make it considerably more expensive,” Cr Hills said.
Cr Linda Cooper said a rates-funded option would be a cheaper option for families struggling financially.
“Pay as you throw is not working,” Cooper said. “We need to get some amalgamation across the city,” she said.
The committee passed the change to extend the rates model to all of Auckland. Cr Greg Sayers, Wayne Walker and John Watson voted against the change.