More than 3300 people made submissions to Waka Kotahi/NZ Transport Agency (NZTA) about the proposed tolling of the Penlink Road.
The submission period closed last week (February 13) but the resulting report will not be made public for some time.
An NZTA spokesperson says the content of all submissions will be included in the consultation summary report (with names omitted), and this will be publicly available once it is submitted to the Transport Minister around the middle of this year.
The final decision on whether the road is tolled or not rests with government.
“The findings from public consultation, together with technical reports, will help inform government when they make a decision on tolling Penlink,” the spokesperson says.
He says any approval of tolling requires an Order in Council process which may take 1-2 years.
However, with construction of Penlink set to begin this year, NZTA suspects that the Minister will give some indications of the Government’s preference earlier than the projected Order in Council process.
“We expect to get an indication on the Government’s preference on tolling hopefully sometime this year based on the tolling technical reports and consultation summary report,” the spokesperson says.