Warkworth Notices of Requirements notified

Auckland Transport has accepted recommendations by independent commissioners to move ahead with eight notices of requirement (NoRs) designed to safeguard routes for prospective new transport corridors around Warkworth. It accepted some of the commissioners’ recommendations on conditions, while rejecting others.

The decision on the eight NoRs, which potentially impact hundreds of properties, was notified on July 12.

A spokesperson said Auckland Council would inform submitters and other interested parties of the decision and the 15-day appeal period and process for submitters.

The designations are expected to be finalised by the end of this year, subject to resolution of any appeals that may be filed.

The eight are:

NOR1: A public transport hub in north Warkworth and the northern end of the Western Link, including a proposed bridge crossing

NOR2: Upgrading of a western section of Woodcocks Road, from Evelyn Street to the new Puhoi-Warkworth motorway

NOR 3: Upgrading of the southern portion of Old SH1, roughly from The Grange to just south of Valerie Close

NOR4: Upgrading of Matakana Road, from the Hill Street intersection to the rural-urban boundary, a short way past the new roundabout near Clayden Road

NOR5: Upgrading of Sandspit Road, from the Hill Street intersection to the eastern rural-urban boundary

NOR6: The southern portion of a Western Link, from Evelyn Street, skirting the light industrial area and meeting up with the Old SH1 where it intersects McKinney Road

NOR7: A new road linking Matakana Road (at the roundabout where Matakana Road meets the new Matakana Link Road) and Sandspit Road, with separated cycle lanes and footpaths

NOR8: The northern portion of an envisaged wider Western Link, running south of Woodcocks Road (near the new motorway) to the Mahurangi River

“These long-term projects are part of a well-designed, integrated transport network being planned now to transform how people move around Warkworth in the future,” an Auckland Transport spokesperson said.

The decision is the culmination of several years of business case development leading to the lodging of the NoRs in May last year and an independent hearing in Warkworth last November.

“The projects are not currently funded for construction or implementation, which we anticipate will be secured in the coming decades with the rezoning and release of land by Auckland Council.”


Previous stories on the NoRs can be found here:

Warkworth route protection proposals: Hearings planned (Sept 11)
https://www.localmatters.co.nz/environment/warkworth-route-protection-proposals-hearings-planned/

Transport hub near Pak’n Save disputed (Sept 25)
https://www.localmatters.co.nz/mahurangi-news/transport-hub-near-pakn-save-disputed/

Land owners contemplate personal cost of road plan (Oct 9)
https://www.localmatters.co.nz/environment/land-owners-contemplate-personal-cost-of-road-plan/

Roading impacts on family land causing frustration, trepidation (Oct 23)
https://www.localmatters.co.nz/mahurangi-news/roading-impacts-on-family-land-causing-frustration-trepidation/

Proposed Matakana Road upgrade impacts dozens of properties (Nov 6)
https://www.localmatters.co.nz/environment/proposed-matakana-road-upgrade-impacts-dozens-of-properties/

Route protection proposals affect scores of properties (Nov 20)
https://www.localmatters.co.nz/environment/route-protection-proposals-affect-scores-of-properties/

Route protection public hearings close (Dec 4)
https://www.localmatters.co.nz/mahurangi-news/route-protection-public-hearings-close/