Emergency services have praised the efforts of Stanmore Bay Pool & Leisure Centre staff who responded quickly and efficiently when a man suffered a cardiac arrest in the sauna recently.
The incident occurred on the afternoon of July 18 and required the centre’s pools, which are adjacent to the sauna and were full of children due to the school holidays, to be evacuated. The entire centre was closed for the remainder of the day.
The man was found unconscious on one of the staff’s regular checks of the sauna and they immediately commenced CPR until the ambulance arrived.
The patient was taken to North Shore Hospital. Auckland Council’s head of active recreation, Rob McGee, said last week that the man was out of intensive care and making a good recovery.