History – Te Arai Library and Urlich Cottage

Urlich Cottage in May 1971 when it was already more than 100 years old.


With a new build underway in the Historic Village sparking curiosity – “It’s going to be a rotunda!” – it’s a fitting time to reflect on the history of some of the key buildings that now stand in the history precinct, many of which moved about quite a bit before being moved onto the site opposite the museum.

The first library at Te Arai began inside Farrand’s Store in 1864 before later being relocated to Te Arai Church, which then burned down in 1899 – but what a relief, the books were saved. In 1928, a dedicated library was built at the intersection of Cemetery Road and Mangawai Road (sic), which served the community until 1970 when it was moved to a new site in Te Arai until 1987. When the Te Arai & Mangawai (sic) Library closed, it was shifted to the Historic Village, where it now houses the Book Train, which regularly both excites and confuses visitors to the area – with some on an eager quest for books, and others enquiring at museum reception where they can purchase tickets for train passage.

The Information Centre at the fore of the village had many owners before it came to rest in the Historic Village where it is managed by the Mangawhai Historic Village Trust. A farm worker’s cottage built in Black Swamp Road, formerly in the Hogan family, this cottage was bought by Steve Knezovich, just after World War I, before being dragged across the channel by a bullock team to an area above the hotel. This house later moved again along the then main road to 96 Moir Street – locals probably know the spot – a patch with a fence and fruit trees on the hill on the Urlich Farm opposite the domain. Steve married Kate Zegura in 1926, and after his death she married George Urlich (1936). Kate lived in the house until her death in 1976. George and Kate’s son Ivan Urlich lived in the cottage thereafter, until Ivan donated his home, had it relocated to the Historic Village in 2019, and restored to its original condition. It has been used as an Information Centre for Mangawhai since December 2023.

The Urlich Cottage serves as an excellent illustration of how people once lived. Everything in the cottage is somehow vaguely familiar, while at the same time somehow feeling foreign and ancient to young students who walk through. Stand-outs include the size of the living room, the stove in the kitchen, and the configuration of the laundry. The cottage has a bit of a goldilocks effect, in that it can simulates a sense its residents have popped out and might be back any minute – a perfect introductory step into the past before exploring the stories of these families and more, from the area.

Coming Up at Mangawhai Museum
May & Jun | Storm Zone School Tour
6&7 Jun | Rate Mates’ Weekend, free entry for Kaipara ratepayers
Fri 10 Jul | Matariki – special activities on offer at Mangawhai Museum