

Three Syrian brothers came to New Zealand over 100 years ago, and ran small businesses in Warkworth.
The Azzy brothers – Peter, George and Domith – were born in the late 19th century at Mount Lebanon in Ottoman Syria, the mountainous area that nowadays makes up half the country of Lebanon. How they came to select New Zealand – and particularly Warkworth – as their destination is not clear. Two of them arrived here by 1916, aged 35 and 27 years, and a third in 1922, aged 30 years.
Once in Warkworth, each of the three brothers operated their own particular business in Queen Street, with involvement in each other’s trade. The oldest brother, Peter Azzy, operated as a tailor from 1916. Initially he and his brother George had neighbouring shops in the Clayden’s Buildings situated at the block between today’s Wharf Street and Baxter Street.
In 1921 Peter and his brother George took court action for libel by a person who had been convicted of forging letters defaming the two brothers. The case involved copies of a letter circulated in Warkworth, purporting to be from the Society for the Protection of Women and Children.
Allegations contained in the letter were that “two Turks” were “luring young girls into their dens” and were behaving indecently. The case was heard in the Supreme Court, which awarded damages of $27,320 (at present-day value) to each brother.
Peter then left Warkworth, owing to waning business, and by 1933 had a tailoring shop in Auckland.
George operated as a boot-maker in Warkworth from 1916, until at least 1947 where he also kept a stock of ready-made boots and shoes. Alongside his main business, George also operated as the town ‘bookie’. He was convicted in 1938 and fined $4000 (at present day value) for using his premises as a gaming house.
The brothers were very involved in the local community. George made his shop available for “Bring-and-Buy” occasions by the Warkworth Red Cross and the Anglican Ladies Guild. Proceeds were typically used for charitable purposes. Recreationally, George was also appointed as a Vice-President of the Rodney Hockey Association (Peter also being a Vice-President), Vice-President of the Warkworth Rugby Football Club, and Vice-President of the Matakana Patriotic Racing Club.
Third brother Domith ‘Dom’ also operated a business in Queen Street. His shop was opposite the Warkworth Hotel. He publicised that he was a footwear specialist, ladies and gents’ hairdresser, and tobacconist, with a new stock of boots and shoes, and a range of smoking requisites.
In the early hours of July 28, 1931, a fire broke out in the print room of the Rodney and Otamatea Times, a few doors along from Dom’s shop, and quickly spread destroying the whole block of shops. During the height of the fire Dom was able to save the hairdressing chair from his shop, as well as a stock of boots and shoes. He was able to rebuild his business in Queen Street, and continued operating there.
Among his recreational pursuits he was a keen card player. He is known to have competed locally at “500” and bridge tournaments. He was also acknowledged in the press for a financial donation to the Warkworth Swimming Club, and for presenting a silver cup for the best schoolboy wrestler in a competition organised by the Warkworth Gym Club.
All three brothers left the Warkworth district one way or another! Peter died in 1945 at Wellington Public Hospital, and is buried in Karori Cemetery. George died in 1951 and is buried in the Puhoi Cemetery and Dom, having moved into central Auckland, departed New Zealand. His destination is unknown, but perhaps he returned to his original homeland.
